Sunday, December 5, 2010

Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes


Let me start this post by saying, I'm not a Manwich Mom. I don't know why, but it has never struck me as yummy. I prefer to make my sauce homemade and slow simmered in a slow cooker. This is a recipe that I have been reviewing in my brain for a long while and when I made it for my family, I got a big thumbs up. 

What makes this recipe different than others is that you combine a side option with the main course. Adding baked beans directly into the Sloppy Joe mixture makes it more flavorful.

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds lean ground beef
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 spoonfuls minced garlic
1/2 cup ketchup
3/4 cup barbecue sauce (I use a honey-based barbecue sauce)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1 can (8 oz) baked beans
Kaiser rolls, split and warmed
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Instructions
1. Brown ground beef, onion, bell pepper, and garlic 6 to 8 minutes in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir to break-up meat. Drain excess fat. Transfer beef mixture to the slow cooker.

2. In a bowl combine ketchup, barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, and onion powder. Transfer to slow cooker.

3. Add baked beans to slow cooker. Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on high 3 - 4 hours.

4. To serve, fill the rolls with the Sloppy Joe mixture and then top with shredded cheddar cheese. OR Scoop out the top half of the roll and fill with the Sloppy Joe mixture - more meat and less carbs!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home